“Society for Social Transformation and Environment Protection” (sSTEP) is a Right based, humanitarian development organization working with the low income groups and marginalized communities of Urban and Rural part of Assam and North East India. The organization was formed by a pool of young volunteers deeply concerned about the distressful condition of growing urban excluded communities and started working as a informal unit from 1998-99. It was formally registered under the “Societies Registration Act 1860” in the year 2001. The group emerged, when as contemporaries studying together in the Gauhati University with a deep commitment to work for the marginalized in Assam and North East, they came forward to work as volunteers for organizations and agencies working for the deprived.
Society for Social Transformation and Environment Protection (sSTEP) is a development organization working with the poor and marginalized of the Urban and Rural Assam and North Eastern region of the Country.
The organization is formed by some of conscious students of the Guwahati University, who were working as volunteers in the District Primary Education Programme (later renamed as Sarva Siksha Abhiyan) of the Government of Assam. The experiences of extreme deprivation of the poorest that they came across/interacted during their field works across Assam has motivated them come into a group and form the society.
sSTEP Vision, Mission and Values.
A Society in which the poorest have access to social and economic security and where basic human rights and a dignified life of the poor are ensured.
- Empowerment of Marginalized Communities.
- Solidarity with the civil society in people’s struggles
- Accountable governance protecting rights of poor and marginalized
- Reduce vulnerability of the poor and marginalized communities
- To improve the living conditions of the poor and the marginalized.
Group: sSTEP believes in groups and with collective actions.
Transparency: Openness to display information related to plans, resources, decisions and everything to all and every one.
Respect to each others: Respect is seen by our behavior in active listening to others, giving importance to their views and accepting differences.
Honesty: Honesty means judge by integrity of our action and expressing one’s views without fear and favour.
Solidarity with Marginalized communities: Solidarity is demonstrated through empathy with the marginalized communities in their struggle and being with them in their collective action.
Thematic Area of Intervention
- Street Vendors
- Informal Daily wage Worker/ Construction worker
- Vulnerable children and women
- Poverty pockets/ Slum dwellers
- Homeless people
- Domestic workers
- Victims of men made and natural disaster
- Tribal and indigenous communities
- Slum dwellers
- Informal Daily Wage labour
- Victims of manmade and natural calamities.
Geographical outreach: Assam and North East India
- Socio economic development and livelihood
- Child rights and education
- Protection and utilization of natural resources and housing rights
- Natural and Men made disaster
- Water – Sanitation – Health and Hygiene
- Women empowerment
- Youth empowerment
- Peace and Social harmony
- Registered under the society registration act, 1860
- Registered under foreign contribution regulation act
- Registration under income tax(12A & 80G)
Statutory documents and registration of sSTEP
- Registered Under Society Registration Act, 1860 (Government of ASSAM, INDIA)
- Registered Under Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act. 1976
- Registered under 12A of Income – Tax Act, 1961
- Permanent Account Number (PAN) from Income tax department under Govt. of INDIA
- TAX Deduction Account Number (TAN)
- Registered under Indian Government Provident Fund and Gratuity
- Recognition under U/S 80 G (5) of Income Tax Act. INDIA
- Registration under European Commission PADOR Process
- Creditability Certification
- Registration under NITY AYUG Government of India
sSTEP in 2020: Current Activities
- At present the organization is working in 8 no of poverty pockets in the city with issues related with EDUCATION, Basic facility in poverty pockets, Health hygiene and social security provisions with support from KERK in ACTIE –
- Organizing 10000 STREET VNDOR’S and DAILY WAGE LABOURS / CONSTRUCTION WORKER’S in the city through their respective unions for their rights and entitlements with support from ACTION AID INDIA.
- Covering 50 schools and villages with children’s and youth development activities in Mayang Block of Morigaon District through Terre Das Homes, Germany.
- Running BRAHMAPUTRA CHILDREN HOME for orphans and deprive children with infrastructural support from LOTUS FLOWER TRUST.UK
- Running women skill development center (Handloom Production Center and Cutting – Knitting Center) in Mayang block of Morigaon District.
- Young Urban Women (YUW) Project supported by Action Aid India.
sSTEP facilitate the following…..
- Internship to the students and social work professionals.
- Support in Studies/ research to Scholars/ Social work professionals
- Organizing birthday’s / anniversaries etc. with the Children’s of Brahmaputra Children Home.
- Receive donation for running children home and other development causes and provide 80G of Income Tax free certificate.
- Building Bridges among organizations–Government Institutions or individuals with the marginalized.
sSTEP believe in group and with collective actions.Transference: Openness to display information related to plans, resources, decisions & everything to all, every one.Respect to each others: Respect is seen by our behavior in active listening to others, giving importance to their views and accepting differences.
Honesty means judges by integrity of our action and expressing one’s views without fear and favour. Solidarity with the marginalized communities: Solidarity is demonstrated through empathy with the marginalized communities in their struggle and being with them in their collective action. Consistency between practice and preaching: Consistency in what we believe, what we think and what we do present.
Present Human Resource
Mr. Dwijendra Sahariah
Mr. Dipty Kr. Basumatary.
Mr. Simanta Sarma
Mr. Sattar Chaudhury
Mr. Umesh Baruah.
Mr. Jitu Kr. Phancho
Miss. Narshi Ahmed.
Mr. Babul Das.
Mr. Shanjit Ali.
Ms. Manashi Keleng
Mr. Milon Goswami.
Mr. Pranab Barman.
Mr. Noni Kanta Das.
Miss. Junmoni Rongpee
Mr. Mukunda Bhuyan.
Miss Bhabani Bhuyan.
Miss Priyanka Bhuyan.
Mr. Mriganka Bhuyan.
Miss Anju Kalita.
Mr. Hitesh sarma.
Miss Puspa Sahani
Present Goveming Body
Mrs. Phulpahi Nath President.
Mr. Kulendra Sarmah Secretary
Mr. Simanta Sarma Vice president.
Mr. Umesh Baruah Accountant
Phone No. : 0361-2279900,
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Year of Establishment : 2000
Year of Registration : 2001
Registration Number : KAM/240/M/483 of2001-2002
Contact Person : Dwijendra Sahariah, Phone +91-98649-80691
FCRA Registration No: :020780106
Geographical Outreach: : North East India
Man power: : 45 (Male- 30, Female-15)
Network organizations : 20
Secretary : Dwijendra Sahariah